Solskjaer refuses to enter debate on Manchester City’s European ban

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer refused to comment on Financial Fair Play and the lifting of Manchester City‘s European ban. The Manchester United manager dodged all the questions on the subject, stating he only wants to focus on completing the Premier League, FA Cup and Europa League.

City’s two-year ban from European football was lifted on Monday after the English club took their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). The club had been accused by the UEFA in February for breaching the rules of FFP. The CAS decided the UEFA did not have valid grounds to ban City and therefore lifted the ban.

Lifting the ban then shook the Premier League with outspoken managers like Jose Mourinho and Jurgen Klopp both disapproving with the verdict. Mourinho told reporters the decision was a ‘big disgrace’, while his German Liverpool colleague said Monday was ‘not a good day for football’.

The verdict of CAS could have an immediate impact on Manchester United as the Red Devils will now have to enter the top four to claim a spot in next season’s Champions League. Talking to a press conference on Tuesday, Solskjaer refused to make any comment or statement on the Manchester City case.

“Well, I think other people can debate that and they want to debate that,” the United boss said. “I don’t think that’s my job. My job is to make sure that we focus on the next game and that we just do the right things.”

“But with Financial Fair Play, it was brought in to keep football and football clubs financially sustainable and I think that’s important and they also give us rules to adhere to. That’s what we’re focusing on and let other people discuss what’s right and wrong and what’s happened.”